Monday, October 29, 2012

Good-Byes and Packing Up

It's time to start saying good-byes and packing up. It feels like I just got here and at the same time, I have received a lifetime's worth of experiences. I have already had to say good-bye to some amazing people and to be honest, I'm not a fan of saying it... I'll see ya later works better. Also, as I get a little older, I shed a few more tears now. I'm okay with that, but the good-byes will never be easy.

Looking in my room at all the stuff I'm taking home is a little daunting. I'm like who owns all this stuff! Well it's me... It's mainly things to bring back for people to give them something tangible from here. Being a visual learner and having an object to use while telling a story is good for me. Good for others because they get something small out of it too. Now the job of packing this stuff falls on me today... Got to pack it good because I have no clue why the airlines decide to use my piece of luggage as a shot put or a trampoline. It always happens though!

I will also be taking a lot of South East Asia back in the form of shared experiences with my teammates and friends here. I came here with a short-term team and I have the privilege of leaving with one too. That will be nice! The friendships that I have made here with my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ will be with me for a long time. It's deeper than that, it's family. Can't wait to meet up with the people who are already back in the states that I served with here, help equip others to leave and welcome them back when they come home.

Tim Keller does a better job of describing this topic of Christian friendship. He says, "For believers in Christ, despite enormous differences in class, temperament, culture, race, sensibility, and personal history, there is an underlying commonality that is more powerful than them all. This is not so much a 'thread' as an indestructible steel cable. Christians have all experienced the grace of God in the gospel of Jesus."

That is so true here! There are local Chinese, Indian, and other "expats (foreigners)" that I had an immediate bond with them in Christ. Such a blessing to see and experience. The lessons they have taught me about culture and how to better serve the people here is something I will always carry.
 

With a little less than two weeks until I leave, please pray for us as the work continues. Leaving here with a great team in place! It makes going home a good bit easier and I am so very excited to see family and friends back in the states.

Please also pray for additional people to come and serve here. The harvest is ripe!

No comments:

Post a Comment